Tuesday, July 8

One more day as a nonentity

Time is such a slippery beast - I can never get a hold of it, never wrap my mind around the concept. I want to slow it down, savor it by moments or speed it up, fast-forward to some other segment of my life. It, indifferent to my grasping, paces on; I, meanwhile, limp behind schedule bemoaning my fate, which happens to be universal and not all that bad.
This week constant swim lessons have started taking their toll. Jumping in and out of the pool, pulling out every trick - bribery, teasing, encouragement, threats - I wily coax these kids into swimmers (or at least not drowners). Maybe its the chlorine, but my energy is sapped, and yet I'm restless for something else, too. I'm also browning like a roast and have begun actively fearing skin cancer, which has morphed into some kind of mythological demon that stalks me. Yes, too much time in the pool shouting, "kick-kick-kick-kick" and "paddle! use your big arms!" and "put your face in!" and the ever-pressing "BREATHE!" has addled my brain. Also great.
On a more positive note, I have now become an accomplished "document destroyer," that is, I can shred large amounts of paper by hand. Every day brings new excitement and new challenges - can I rip apart 26 pieces of paper at one time? Bring it on!
Okay, sorry to be whiny, I just want to be exploring someplace, or going somewhere singing at the top of my lungs. And I will be. Maybe I will start that now and see how many people stare at me as if I'm a crazy person, or maybe I will just sing because what else can you do? Like what else can you do but wake up and praise the Lord and greet the sun and begin?

1 comment:

Emily Price said...

Let's escape and go on an adventure together shan, okay? okay.